My personal and professional life

2005-11-30

Internet Explorer and its Accept HTTP Header

It looks like "my favorite" browser Internet Explorer [Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)] sends the Accept HTTP header like this:

Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/msword, application/x-Schwab-flash, */*

From first sight it looks that this are MIME types of images, documents from the office suite of Microsoft and the Macromedia Flash extension. Only that there is no any HTML or XHTML media types.

This prevents showing of my CV directly in HTML format in the browser, because it is available also in PDF, PS, Doc, SXW and ODT formats. Based on the Accept header, that Internet Explorer sends, my content negotiation configured HTTP server sends the .doc file instead of .Html, which is not what I want exactly.

Despite the above said I don't think to change something, because I think that this is an incomplete Accept header and it's not my problem. Besides most of the users of this browser have Microsoft Office package available, so they will not have problem viewing the content ;-)

No comments: